* Silly Season Politics Dept: Vic Kohring, a former state lawmaker who pleaded guilty to a federal corruption charge in 2011, is running for U.S. Senate.
served in the Legislature as a Republican but is vying for the Alaskan
Independence Party nomination in this race. The Division of Elections
director says Kohring recently changed his party affiliation.
declined to discuss details, saying he'll get into those later. He says
he's running because he's worried about the legacy today's leaders are
leaving for future generations.
Kohring attempted a political comeback last year with an unsuccessful run for Wasilla City Council.
* Dirty Politics Dept: U.S. Senate candidate Joe Miller says he was stopped and issued a ticket for a broken taillight by the Alaska State Troopers on Tuesday after another driver called in a meritless claim that Miller was driving drunk.
The conservative Republican, based in Fairbanks,
said in a Facebook post that a trooper -- accompanied by a camera crew
-- pulled him over on the Parks Highway while Miller was driving a
vehicle carrying 4-foot by 8-foot campaign signs.
That was five
minutes after Miller passed a truck driver in front of him who had
"slammed on his brakes" for no reason - and four days after a pickup
carrying Miller's son, and the same campaign signs, had been stopped for
an identical offense, he said in his post.
"Explanation was that
someone called in a complaint about a drunk driver," Miller said,
referring to his own stop. "I was cited for a broken taillight. Let the
* Some Days the Bear Eats You Dept: Alaska Department of Fish and Game officials in Anchorage are warning anyone in the area of Rabbit Creek Road to beware of a brown bear protecting its moose calf kill.
Srsly, folks, stay away from the large grizzly while it's eating. Duh!
* People Are Dumb Dept: The next time you see a moose calf by itself, the Alaska Department of Fish and Game asks that you leave it alone or call Fish and Game biologists.
The department says in the past two weeks, four moose
calves have been picked up in the Mat-Su Valley by people who thought
the animals had been abandoned by their mothers.
And finally ...
* What a Tangled Web She Weaves Dept: