Homer man badly hurt after woodstove explosion, fire total home
An elderly Homer man was severely injured in an explosion and fire that destroyed his home Wednesday morning, Alaska State Troopers say.
In a Wednesday afternoon AST dispatch, troopers say responded alongside crews from the Anchor Point, Homer and Kachemak Emergency Service Area fire departments to the Diamond Ridge blaze at about 9:15 a.m.
“Investigation revealed the 88-year-old male owner of the residence attempted to start a fire in a wood stove using gasoline,” troopers wrote. “There was an explosion and the home was subsequently consumed by fire.”
Troopers say the man was taken to Central Peninsula Hospital with life-threatening injuries.
The $160,000 residence was a total loss in the blaze.
- Copyright © 2014, KTUU-TV
Our thoughts and prayers go to the man, and we hope he recovers quickly.